[gecode-users] Reusing the old Gecode/J interface

Guido Tack tack at gecode.org
Wed Aug 21 05:27:45 CEST 2013

Hello Hugh,

I would start from scratch.  Gecode/J used a much tighter coupling between Java and C++ than necessary for most users (e.g. you could implement propagators and branchers in Java, which is usually not necessary).  At the time we used SWIG to generate the interface from the C++ headers plus some custom annotations.  I wasn't particularly impressed with the quality of the generated code (IIRC I even had to patch some things manually), and there was a huge problem with the Java multi thread garbage collection.  But that was so long ago that I'd probably give it another try, especially if the interface you need is much simpler than what we had (we had to export C++ classes that you could subclass in Java, including virtual method calls etc... the result was a huge mess and not very efficient).

If you need more concrete ideas, just let me know.