[gecode-users] Reusing the old Gecode/J interface

Mikael Zayenz Lagerkvist zayenz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 10:16:27 CEST 2013

Hugh Ferguson skrev 8/21/13 5:16 AM:
> I am evaluating various commercial and open-source CP solvers for use
> in a Java context. Gecode looks attractive, aside from the lack of a
> Java interface. It may be worth implementing a Java interface, given
> that we only need a small part of the API. I am aware that the
> Gecode/J interface was abandoned many years ago. Can anyone give me an
> idea of whether it would be worth using Gecode/J as a starting point,
> or whether it would be better to start from scratch?

I agree with Guido's comments on not to reuse Gecode/J.

However, depending on what your particular use case is, building a
direct Java interface may be way to general. If what you need is to
solve a single optimization problem, then it might make more sense to
build the model in C++ and to interface that model with the rest of your
system. This way, the only thing that is needed to communicate between
Java and C++ is the model instance and the result. This way, it is
possible to run the Gecode part in a separate process that will not
interfere with the JVM.

Cheers,
Mikael