[gecode-users] Large Neighbourhood Search - Destroying the solution

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Thu Jun 14 15:45:51 CEST 2012

Hi Joan,

Your decision is absolutely right: the idea to remove (or undo) parts of a
solution is not feasible (this is a very difficult problem as would have to
undo all propagation, search, etc). Starting from scratch is the right idea.

There you have two possibilities: either you re-create the model completely
or you try to keep one master copy of your model and then creates clones
from it (I guess you have read how to implement search in Gecode). The
latter one is more efficient. You can also mix both approaches in that you
keep part of your model that is common to all searches in LNS as a master
space and for each new try you create a clone of the master space and then
add those constraints to it (by some member function you can implement) that
are specific to the current try.

Does this make sense?

Christian Schulte, www.ict.kth.se/~cschulte/