[gecode-users] Gecode 4.0.0

Gustavo Gutierrez gutierrez.gustavo at uclouvain.be
Fri Nov 4 15:27:20 CET 2011

Hi Vincent,

2011/11/4 Vincent Barichard <Vincent.Barichard at univ-angers.fr>

> e about the rounding for trigonometric and transcendental functions.
> Indeed, boost doesn't provide full rounding functions for trigonometric and
> transcendental functions. To achieve correct rounding, it relies on other
> libraries like MPFR. If I can't rely on standard C maths functions to get a
> correct rounding, I have to investigate on other alternatives. MPFR is not
> a good choice for Windows users, so maybe another library (CRLibm ? others
> ?).

I think that if you have something like cygwin or mingw you can install
MPFR in an easy way. The nice think about that library is that is very well
tested and brings support for different architectures. GCC uses it and this
is a good sign (?). I don't know if the library can be distributed with
gecode or at least statically linked in the future libgecodefloat. I don't
know too much about windows, tough.

I'd appreciate any advice on this. Does someone known a good "light" maths
> library which gives exact rounding ?
>
> If you have any questions or remarks, don't hesitate to contact me!

It will be nice if you can get some ideas from smathlib:
http://interval.sourceforge.net/interval/C/smathlib/README.html

this library was developed by Timothy Hickey but is pure C and I am not
very sure about its portability. It provides its own rounding methods
without relying in something else.

Another good library that perform constraint programming
on continuous domains is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/elisa/

But I think you already had a look at that one. It provides nice interval
arithmetic constraint that make use of the Newton method to offer better
pruning.

Regards,
--
Gustavo Gutierrez