[gecode-users] Gecode 4.0.0

Vincent Barichard Vincent.Barichard at univ-angers.fr
Fri Nov 4 14:55:21 CET 2011

Hi,

As Christian said, I am interested in having FloatVar in Gecode. I
contacted him last Spring and started work during Summer.
I try to follow Gecode standards as close as possible. All interval'
stuff are based on boost intervals.
Up to now, I designed FloatVar and views (FloatView, MinusView and
OffSetView) and a bunch of propagators :
- Linear (Lg, Gq, Eq)
- Arithmetic (Square, Sqrt, Abs, Pow, NthRoot, Mult, Div, Min, Max)
- Trigonometric (Sin, Cos, Tan, ASin, ACos, ATan)
- Transcendental (Exp, Log)
- Channel (to int)

For a first release it may be enough, so I concentrate on tests to
remove bugs. I plan to add tools for modeling (like other Gecode
Variables and constraints), but I must first solve an issue about the
rounding for trigonometric and transcendental functions. Indeed, boost
doesn't provide full rounding functions for trigonometric and
transcendental functions. To achieve correct rounding, it relies on
other libraries like MPFR. If I can't rely on standard C maths
functions to get a correct rounding, I have to investigate on other
alternatives. MPFR is not a good choice for Windows users, so maybe
another library (CRLibm ? others ?). I'd appreciate any advice on
this. Does someone known a good "light" maths library which gives
exact rounding ?

If you have any questions or remarks, don't hesitate to contact me!

Cheers,
Vincent

Christian Schulte <cschulte at kth.se> a écrit :

> Hi Filip,
>
> I started some time ago to look into the FloatVar stuff but then I got
> contacted by Vincent Barichard about that. Vincent expressed his interest
> and has already arrived at a second prototype. I am quite positive that this
> will lead to a good module for 4.*.
>
> Vincent, maybe you can describe the status so far.
>
> Best
> Christian
>

> --
> Christian Schulte, www.ict.kth.se/~cschulte/

Vincent Barichard        Université d'Angers (LERIA)
Tel: 02 41 73 52 06      Département Informatique
Fax: 02 41 73 50 73      H203