[gecode-users] g++ version 4.2 requirement

Guido Tack tack at gecode.org
Thu May 12 13:51:19 CEST 2011

On 12 May 2011, at 13:44, Martin Mann wrote:

> Hi Gecoder,
>
> I tried to compile Gecode 3.5 on an older system with g++ 4.1.2 and it failed since the configure checks and requires g++ 4.2 or higher.
>
> Is this really a strict requirement or only needed for certain modules or features?
>
> I am still in the static build scenario. If I statically build the binary on a system with g++ 4.5 and run it on the old machine it crashes due to kernel incompatibilites. Somewhat expected..
>
> Do you see a workaround? Is the dependency strict or for efficiency?

This is a strict dependency,  g++ < 4.2 does not correctly implement the C++ language we use, and even if you make it compile, the generated code is incorrect (very subtly incorrect, of course).
I can't see how a static binary compiled with g++ 4.5 can rely on a certain kernel. Are you sure it's completely linked (i.e., ldd doesn't list any dependencies)?  Could you set up a virtual machine with the correct target kernel but a newer gcc for compiling?

Guido Tack, http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~guido.tack/