[gecode-users] g++ version 4.2 requirement

Martin Mann mmann at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu May 12 15:01:40 CEST 2011

Am 12.05.2011 13:51, schrieb Guido Tack:
> On 12 May 2011, at 13:44, Martin Mann wrote:
>

>> Hi Gecoder,
>>
>> I tried to compile Gecode 3.5 on an older system with g++ 4.1.2 and it failed since the configure checks and requires g++ 4.2 or higher.
>>
>> Is this really a strict requirement or only needed for certain modules or features?
>>
>> I am still in the static build scenario. If I statically build the binary on a system with g++ 4.5 and run it on the old machine it crashes due to kernel incompatibilites. Somewhat expected..
>>
>> Do you see a workaround? Is the dependency strict or for efficiency?
>
> This is a strict dependency,  g++<  4.2 does not correctly implement the C++ language we use, and even if you make it compile, the generated code is incorrect (very subtly incorrect, of course).

> I can't see how a static binary compiled with g++ 4.5 can rely on a certain kernel. Are you sure it's completely linked (i.e., ldd doesn't list any dependencies)?  Could you set up a virtual machine with the correct target kernel but a newer gcc for compiling?

Seems like there are some kernel compatibility dependencies of g++ as
far as I recall the infos from our administrator.

The binary is completely statically linked. Accordingly, the "ldd" says
"not a dynamic executable".

I compiled and linked the binary with g++ 4.5.1 on a "2.6.35" kernel and
everything works fine.

But if I run the binary on a "2.6.18" kernel I get
	FATAL: kernel too old
	Segmentation fault

If you dont see a different option it seems I cannot avoid installing a
newer g++ on the old kernel machines to build a compatible static binary
for all machines.. :/

If anybody sees another option, please let me know.

So long,
Martin

--
Martin Mann, Dipl. Bioinf.
Bioinformatics - Inst. of Computer Science