[gecode-users] Linear constraints

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Thu Mar 4 17:48:50 CET 2010

The only interesting case is equality, where bounds and domain propagation
really differ vastly. For inequalities bounds and domain propagation
coincides (see the references below), and for disequality there is only
domain propagation in Gecode (as pure bounds propagation is actually more
difficult to implement and is less efficient).

Hence in the following I only talk about equality.

Bounds is linear, domain is exponential (O(d^n) for domain size s and n
variables).

Domain in Gecode is naive, just scanning all possible assignments (with some
bounds reasoning).

For propagating bounds linear (achieving bounds(R) consistency in Gecode and
not bounds(Z) for equality), see for example:

http://web.it.kth.se/~cschulte/paper.html?id=SchulteStuckey:TOPLAS:2005

And also (which is mentioned in Modeling with Gecode):

@InCollection{bounds-consistency,

  author =              {Chiu Wo Choi and Warwick Harvey and Jimmy Ho-Man
Lee and Peter J. Stuckey},

  title =  {Finite Domain Bounds Consistency Revisited},

  volume =       {4304},

  year = 2006,

  Pages        = "49--58",

  booktitle    = "AI 2006: Advances in Artificial Intelligence",

  series       = "Lecture Notes in Computer Science",

  publisher    = "Springer Verlag",

}

Christian Schulte, www.ict.kth.se/~cschulte/