[gecode-users] Linking to Gecode with Microsoft Visual C++

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Tue Sep 2 16:45:54 CEST 2008

Hi everyone!

We had a bit of trouble trying to link to the binary Gecode
distribution from a Microsoft Visual Studio C++ project.  First of
all, here's what you have to set up in the properties dialog of your
"Solution":
  * Configuration Properties, C++, General, set the Additional Include
Directories to <Program Files>\Gecode
  * Configuration Properties, Linker, General, set the Additional
Library Directories to <Program Files>\Gecode\lib
  * Configuration Properties, Linker, Input, set the Additional
Dependencies to GecodeSupport.lib GecodeKernel.lib GecodeSearch.lib
etc. (all the Gecode libraries that you want to link against)

That should do the trick, except that only a release build works
properly at the moment.  If you build your project using a Debug
configuration instead, your program will crash with "bad alloc" errors.

Apparently, inlining doesn't work too well when linking against
different libraries (i.e., linking Gecode with /MD while linking your
program with /MDd).  So, for the time being, you will have to compile
your program as a Release build, or compile your own version of Gecode
with debug turned on.  We're looking into this issue, and we'll try to
produce (optimized) libraries that can be used in a Debug build for
the next version of Gecode.