[gecode-users] Runtime problem

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Tue Sep 2 14:24:26 CEST 2008

andrea.brambilla at polimi.it wrote:
> I have implemented a scheduler with Gecodej 2.1.1 using Eclipse
> under WinXP.
> The main scope can be summarized as:
>
> for(int i=0, i<benchmarkNumber; i++){
>
>   scheduler.loadBenchmark(i);
>   scheduler.solveBenchmark(i);
>   scheduler.printResult();
> }
>
> I am using a BranchAndBound strategy.
> I noticed that for i=3 I get some suboptimal solutions but the B&B
> cannot be completed and the program exits with an error. I have
> attached the correspondent log file.
> I tried with smaller problem instances and I noticed that the
> program exits around i = 5.
> I suspect it is related with memory consumption.

This does not look like a memory problem, the error reported is
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.  That means that GecodeSearch.dll tried to
access a null pointer.  Unfortunately, this can have diverse reasons,
which cannot be analyzed from just the crash log file.  Please, as
Mikael suggested, try Gecode/J 2.2.0 first.  If the problem persists,
you'll have to give us some more concrete information, e.g. whether
you implement your own propagators and/or branchings in Java.