[gecode-users] LDS search

Stefano Gualandi gualandi at elet.polimi.it
Wed Jan 23 10:00:00 CET 2008

Dear Christian,
well, I have been working a bit more on LDS... my suggestion is more
a work-around than a fix.
I have noticed one more thing:

- when solving the example I sent you with max discrepancy equal to
1000, we get 1999 fails!
Altough, we should get the same number of fails of using DFS, since
it is just visiting the same tree with a different order...

I did try to get trough the Gecode sources but, so far, I have not
succeed in fixing it.

Thus, I have tried to figure out how to implement LDS by my own, and
I have just realized that LDS is exactly like DFS, but using a queue
instead of a stack (see the attached examples). In that way, it is
not necessary to use a max-discrepancy parameter when calling the
search engine.  Do you agree?

thanks (a lot) in advance,
Stefano