[gecode-users] Extending Integer Variable

Gustavo Gutierrez ggutierrez at atlas.puj.edu.co
Wed Apr 9 18:40:36 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 3:47 AM, Filip Konvička <filip.konvicka at logis.cz>
wrote:

> Hi Gustavo,
>
> > There are some other implementations that may result useful. One is the
> > interval library that comes with boost (already mentioned), also there
> is an
> > implementation by T. Hickey called smath (
> >
> http://interval.sourceforge.net/interval/prolog/clip/clip/smath/README.html
> )
> > and a complete solver for continous domains called elisa (
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/elisa/).
> >
> > Smath provides a wide set of narrowing operator implementations and
> claims
> > to be correct, i have used it before and its quite good. Elisa comes
> with
> > different representations for constraints on continous domains (natural
> > interval form, newton interval form, etc.) and that makes it promising.
> > Boost.interval is the one that best deal with portability which is a
> matter
> > when dealing with floating point numbers.
>
> Again, these are interesting (I know you use smath in XRI), but my
> greatest concerns are portability and licensing. That said, an ideal
> templatized implementation of FloatVars should allow the user to choose
> their favorite arithmetics implementation, because these concerns are
> not universal.

Sure, portability is a real concern with floating point arithmetic and boost
interval seems to be the best choice for several reasons: very good design;
voice and vote of some peple in the c++ standard comitee . However, we can
get the best fom the three implementations. I think havng carefuly designed
implementations of FloatVars is the first step, then we can imprve the api
of propgators provided. If there is something i can contribute with just
tell me and i will be happy to participate.

 Cheers,
Gustavo.

> Cheers,
> Filip