[gecode-users] Extending Integer Variable

Filip Konvička filip.konvicka at logis.cz
Wed Apr 9 22:09:05 CEST 2008

>     Again, these are interesting (I know you use smath in XRI), but my
>     greatest concerns are portability and licensing. That said, an ideal
>     templatized implementation of FloatVars should allow the user to
>     choose
>     their favorite arithmetics implementation, because these concerns are
>     not universal.
>

> Sure, portability is a real concern with floating point arithmetic and
> boost interval seems to be the best choice for several reasons: very
> good design; voice and vote of some peple in the c++ standard comitee
> . However, we can get the best fom the three implementations. I think
> havng carefuly designed implementations of FloatVars is the first
> step, then we can imprve the api of propgators provided. If there is
> something i can contribute with just tell me and i will be happy to
> participate.

Your experience is highly welcome, Gustavo. Let's wait until we have
some initial working version, and let's discuss the design,
extensibility, performance when we see it. We think that the initial
version should not require much effort, so once we have it we can afford
changing it until we all agree that it's well-designed and that it's
reasonable to continue in extending it.

Cheers,
Filip