[gecode-users] Extending Integer Variable

Filip Konvička filip.konvicka at logis.cz
Wed Apr 9 10:47:00 CEST 2008

Hi Gustavo,

> There are some other implementations that may result useful. One is the
> interval library that comes with boost (already mentioned), also there is an
> implementation by T. Hickey called smath (
> http://interval.sourceforge.net/interval/prolog/clip/clip/smath/README.html)
> and a complete solver for continous domains called elisa (
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/elisa/).
>
> Smath provides a wide set of narrowing operator implementations and claims
> to be correct, i have used it before and its quite good. Elisa comes with
> different representations for constraints on continous domains (natural
> interval form, newton interval form, etc.) and that makes it promising.
> Boost.interval is the one that best deal with portability which is a matter
> when dealing with floating point numbers.

Again, these are interesting (I know you use smath in XRI), but my
greatest concerns are portability and licensing. That said, an ideal
templatized implementation of FloatVars should allow the user to choose
their favorite arithmetics implementation, because these concerns are
not universal.

Cheers,
Filip