[gecode-users] Posting branching later...

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Mon May 28 13:41:08 CEST 2007

Hi.

> usually we post branchings in the constructor of our Space, in the
> beginning.
>
> However I would be interested in posting a branching later (once we
> have
> already begun the search). is it possible to post a branching inside a
> commit function of another branching ?

Yes, that's no problem. We haven't tested that particular scenario
yet, though.

> If the answer is positive, the
> new branching will be posted only for the children of the current
> space
> or also for all ancestors and brothers (ie all other future spaces).

Spaces don't have any reference to their ancestors or brothers. The
new branching will only take effect for spaces created by cloning the
one where it was posted - i.e. its children in the search tree. If
that's what you want, it should work.

If you want the branching to take effect everywhere, you'll have to
put that logic into the search engine such that the engine takes care
of posting the branching in all the open search nodes. It would be
similar to branch-and-bound search, just that instead of constraints,
you add more branchings.

Guido Tack
Programming Systems Lab, Saarland University, Germany
http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/~tack