[gecode-users] it's a bug in gcc

Kari Pahula kaol at iki.fi
Sun Apr 9 04:52:54 CEST 2006

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:16:22AM +0200, Guido Tack wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Martin Michlmayr tried to build gecode 1.0.0 with gcc 4.2 snapshot,
> > unsuccessully.  Is this something that would concern 1.0.1 or the
> > upcoming 1.1.0(?)?
>
> I'm sorry, we currently don't have a gcc 4.2 accessible anywhere, so I
> can't make any promises. However, Gecode 1.1.0 (to be released anytime
> soon now) builds successfully with gcc 4.1.0, just as Martin reports.
>
> I've had a look at the debian bug report. It really looks odd. The
> compiler suggests to use -fPIC, although that's in fact switched on by
> default. So, at the moment, I'd guess it's a problem in gcc 4.2 rather
> than in Gecode.

#361445 was reassigned to gcc-snapshot package already.  Looks like we
had a false alarm.

> As said, Gecode 1.1.0 is due next week. If you have any suggestions how we
> could make your life easier concerning packaging, please let us know!

Gecode 1.0.1 has been stuck in the NEW queue for some time, I may get
to upload 1.1.0 before 1.0.1 arrives to Debian proper.

Gecode's build system is quite regular, I haven't had trouble with
working on it.  If only I'd find the opportunity to use gecode for
something myself, too.  ;-)

BTW, I have set the Debian package build script to run test/test.
That, too, is pending having gecode's new version arrive to Debian.