[gecode-users] Testing (was Re: it's a bug in gcc)

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Sun Apr 9 10:01:08 CEST 2006

Hi.

>> I've had a look at the debian bug report. It really looks odd. The
>> compiler suggests to use -fPIC, although that's in fact switched on by
>> default. So, at the moment, I'd guess it's a problem in gcc 4.2 rather
>> than in Gecode.
>
> #361445 was reassigned to gcc-snapshot package already.  Looks like we
> had a false alarm.

Good to know. And Patrick seems to have been successful with (another
snapshot of) gcc 4.2.

> Gecode 1.0.1 has been stuck in the NEW queue for some time, I may get
> to upload 1.1.0 before 1.0.1 arrives to Debian proper.
>
> Gecode's build system is quite regular, I haven't had trouble with
> working on it.  If only I'd find the opportunity to use gecode for
> something myself, too.  ;-)
>
> BTW, I have set the Debian package build script to run test/test.
> That, too, is pending having gecode's new version arrive to Debian.

Is there a time limit for builds in Debian? By now, testing takes a long,
long time - I'm afraid users building gecode from source may have too
little patience.

Mikael, Christian, perhaps we should put together a set of tests that
check some basic functionality and that complete within 5 minutes or so,
and only do the complete tests ourselves before we release.

Guido Tack
http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/~tack