[gecode-users] Linear Diophantine Equations

Neill Clift neillclift at live.com
Wed Jan 4 00:59:51 CET 2017

Hi,
I was wondering if people thought if constraint satisfaction in general
and more specifically gecode was suitable for solving quickly a system
system like this:

$a_1x_1+a_2x_2+...+a_rx_r=n$
$1 \leq a_i$
$1 \leq x_i \leq 2^l$
$1 \leq l$
All variables are integers. a_i is given. We want to find the x_i's.

I have billions of these problems that I could attempt to solve in an
algorithm I have for computing optimal addition chains. Currently I am
only solving cases with $r=2$ using extended gcd. This gives me a very
powerful prune in the code.

Do you think gecode solves these type of problems efficiently? I know I
can do the equivalent of extended gcd in higher dimensions with the
Blankinship algorithm etc and then try to enumerate solutions via the
specific solution and the null space but I haven't managed to achieve
anything with this approach yet.
What techniques does gecode use to solve such systems (assuming you have
something special for linear constraints)?
I have written code using gecode before so I am familiar with it's
usage. I am just trying to understand if it might be a good approach or
if there are good approaches from constraint satisfaction.
Thanks.
Neill.