[gecode-users] (no subject)

Gustavo Gutierrez gustavo.ggutierrez at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 15:23:55 CET 2015

Hi Tuomas,

I would say that in practice what you need is in the gecode documentation
or reachable from there. However, if you are interested in the mathematical
foundations of constraint programming (not only gecode) you can start by
the book of Apt titled Principles of Constraint Programming (
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~apt/books.html). Another one is the Handbook of
Constraint Programming which is a very good reference.

As you are asking for theoretical foundations I suggest you to have a look
at those books which are not gecode specific. However their contents will
get you in the right direction. If you are looking for seminal works I
would suggest you to look at
http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=yT1DBNsAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra

Again, none of them are directly related to gecode but describe its formal
foundations.

Cheers,
Gustavo

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 2:40 AM, Tuomas Pellonperä <
tuomas.pellonpera at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> What kind of a theoretical foundation -- mathematics, and computer
> science -- is required for developing and using Gecode productively?
>
> (My background: I graduated last summer; I majored in computer science
> (algorithms), and the subject of my master's thesis was Ant colony
> optimization and vehicle routing problem. Even though I didn't cover
> it in my thesis, I came accross constraint programming and soon after
> that Gecode came on my radar. I feel there are gaps in my mathematical
> basis; hence the question.)
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Regards,
> Tuomas Pellonpera