[gecode-users] bit-vector variables and constraints

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Thu Oct 23 11:25:14 CEST 2014

Dear Kellen,

Yes, I think that would be interesting. However, I word of warning: while
the stuff that remains to do is all easy, it might actually take some time
to get the stuff ready so that we could accept it as a contribution.

What remains to be done is (I am not 100% whether you might already have
done part of it):
 - Each file must be under the Gecode license. Easy: just add the standard
header with your name to each file.
 - The structure of the contribution should be the same as for the other
variable types in Gecode (files, folders, file extensions, includes,
namespaces, no using clauses apart from individual functions, etc). Easy:
just have a look at any of the variable types that come with Gecode.
 - The set of branchers must be the same as for the other variable types to
get a uniform interface. Easy: just cut and paste will do (beware that you
have to retain the original licenses when you do stuff like this).
 - The set of propagators must be sufficiently complete to be useful.
 - We need some examples that use the variables.
 - We need tests! Here again, the easiest is to start from the tests for
some other variable type in Gecode.

Some of the things sound like we are nitpickers. We are as we have to be:
after all, when we accept a contribution we promise that we will try to keep
it alive (unless we find out later that nobody wants it).

The good news is, we are physically close. If you want to visit me in Kista
after you thought the stuff through and have a draft of your contribution
you are more than welcome. I'd even buy lunch ;-)

Christian Schulte, www.ict.kth.se/~cschulte/

Jean-Noël