[gecode-users] CP example for Scheduling and assignment

Guido Tack tack at gecode.org
Tue Feb 14 06:10:30 CET 2012

On 13 Feb 2012, at 19:32, Wajid Hassan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am one of the beginner users of CP and Gecode.
>
> I am doing a problem model on allocation, binding and scheduling and the closest example I could find on Gecode is the open-shop scheduling problem. I was hoping that you could guide me to a better example that also involves binding (assigning tasks to resources) in addition to scheduling just to get an idea. I have been trying hard but have not managed to do the binding in parallel with scheduling so far.

There is no direct support for this in Gecode.  You could try to introduce, for each task, an optional task on each resource, and then put a constraint on the BoolVars that represent the optionality so that exactly one of them must be active.  The problem is that Gecode doesn't have built-in search heuristics for this kind of problem, and you probably need a special heuristic to solve anything of interesting size.

Guido Tack,
http://www.csse.monash.edu/~guidot/