[gecode-users] Lower bound for Branch-and-bound

Jonathan Skovhus Andersen jonathanskovhus at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 09:20:44 CEST 2011

*Hi,*

I have been using the Travelling Salesman Problem-case in Gecode for some
time now. I am using Branch-and-bound.

   - I can't see exactly how Gecode computes the lower and upper bound?
   There are many ways of computing a lower bound for a TSP and I would like to
   know how Gecode does it. When I open Gist it shows what I believe to be the
   lower and upper bound when I double click the root node (see attached
   image).
   - Does it makes sense to use the lower bound for assessing the quality of
   the tour found?
   - If I let the branch-and-bound algorithm finish am I sure of finding the
   optimum tour?

I hope that you will bear with me - I am new in this field.

*Regards,*
*Jonathan Skovhus*
*Aalborg University*
*Denmark*