[gecode-users] Accumulated failure count and variables part of a failure

David Rijsman David.Rijsman at quintiq.com
Wed Jun 23 10:57:23 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I am trying to expose as many as possible variables which are part of a propagator which triggered a failure. Before I execute a branch I store the accumulated failure count of all variables. Next I execute the branch and assume this one fails. Right after failing I query the accumulated failure count of the variables in the failed space, if it has increased I know the variable is part of the propagator that triggered the failure (if no constraints have been added).

Is it true that the accumulated failure count of the variable can only increase because it has been part of the propagator which was part of the propagator which triggered the failure?

I can see some problems which is if a propagator cancels an advisor on a variable or if the propagator is entailed, this decreases the accumulated failure count. This can happen before the failure was triggered and therefor the afc of a variable can decrease although it is part of a propagator which failed. Is this correct?

If I would query the space which has been 'recomputed' to execute the alternative of the branch which triggered the failure, the afc compared to before the failure happened would be a good indicator if the variable was part of a failure, do you agree?

David