[gecode-users] Compiling statically

Lars Kotthoff larsko at cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Sat Nov 7 22:13:56 CET 2009

> I played with this a bit, and the problem with -static is that it only
> works if all libraries are actually available as static libraries,
> which sometimes they aren't (e.g. on a Mac).

On Mac (and probably Windows) it's quite reasonable not to link completely
statically I think because the different versions of the system are quite similar
(i.e. one vendor). On Linux on the other hand there're huge differences between
the distributions (and you can build your own from scratch of course), so it's
better to link statically there.

At least that's what we do for our release binaries :)

Lars