[gecode-users] Propagator

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Mon May 25 16:31:34 CEST 2009

Hi Jan,

there are the following catches:

a) propagators do not use destructors. Instead, when a propagator is
deleted, the dispose function is called. That in particular implies that for
any member of your propagator you have to explicitly call the member's
destructor (that is something that is done automatically inside a destructor
but not in the dispose function).

b) most likely you are under the assumption that when a space containing
your propagator is deleted, the dispose method of the propagator is called
such that memory possibly allocated by your propagator is freed. That is not
the case. In case your propagator requires the dispose method to be called
when a space is deleted, the propagator must register itself with its space
for deletion. For example, when home refers to the space, you have to
register the propagator by
	home.notice(*this, AP_DISPOSE);
and consequently in the dispose function you have to deregister
	home.ignore(*this, AP_DISPOSE);

The only exception is if your propagator has only allocated memory from the
space but not via malloc or something else. Then it does not be deleted when
its space is deleted.

Then, the behaviour you describe must have to do with something else as
there is really nothing special happening for NaryPropagator. Maybe you
could check your code again.

I think you are referring to the Gecode 2.* implementation of the
cumulatives propagator. That was actually nonsensical and has been changed
in 3.*. If no variables are modified by a propagator and the propagator says
ES_NOFIX, Gecode still knows that nothing has changed. So finding out
whether something has changed, and if yes reporting ES_NOFIX and ES_FIX
otherwise is exactly the same than reporting ES_NOFIX.

I hope that helps

Christian Schulte, www.ict.kth.se/~cschulte/