[gecode-users] Randomness in Branching

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Sat Jan 31 10:05:16 CET 2009

Jeffrey wrote:

> As there could be a lot of solutions in an CSP, i'm looking for a
> way to inject randomness during the branching so that the first
> solution everytime I get is random.
>
> I found a post in June 6 saying that a random branching will be
> provided in Gecode 3.0.x.
> Is that true?

Yes.  Random branchings (both variable and value selection) are
available in the current trunk of Gecode.  This will become Gecode
3.0.0 in a couple of weeks (we'll let you know some more details about
the planned release next week).

> Secondly, before Gecode 3.0.x is avaliable, is there any other way I
> could make it with Gecode 2.2.x?
> Say, associating a random no. with each branching variable and have
> someway to ask Gecode to consider that random no. during branching?

I wouldn't bother with modifying 2.2.x now, and instead move to the
trunk.  It's pretty stable already, we're mainly working on minor
things that won't change the API, and on documentation.