[gecode-users] Examples

Malcolm Ryan malcolmr at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Feb 15 05:45:39 CET 2009

If I may offer a well-intentioned criticism of the Gecode
distribution, I'd like to suggest that the examples that come with the
distribution do not serve their purpose well. They do a good job of
demonstrating the the strengths of the library, but are less useful as
examples of how to use it. They are simply too complicated, with too
many options spread over too many files. Trying to single out a
particular concept, such as 'how to use Gist' or 'how to write a
custom branching' is tricky. The answer is there, but it is woven in
among several other advanced concepts, with an option system for
turning different parts on and off.

It would be nicer to have simple self-contained examples that
illustrate just one concept at a time and highlight the particular
code elements that are necessary to make that feature work, keeping
the number of options down to a minimum.

If you do this, it would make like easier for all of us. Users such as
myself would find your library much easier to learn, and you wouldn't
have to spend as much of your time answering our stupid questions on
the mailing list. While I am very grateful for all your help, I am
sure we would all like to get on with our work.

Malcolm