[gecode-users] Reporting memory usage

Gustavo Gutierrez ggutierrez at atlas.puj.edu.co
Wed Oct 29 09:19:20 CET 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Christian Schulte <cschulte at kth.se> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> Damn that's missing in Gecode. A space takes into account what external
> memory is allocated by propagators and branchings but not by variables.
>

> It will also not be that straightforward (I would have to think a little)
> as a space does not maintain a list of all variables (in contrast to
> propagators and branchings).
>

> Is it very important? If yes, we could try to come up with something and
> add it for 3.0.

It would be nice and useful to have it but of course we can use some
workaround:  what we can do for now is to use some bash scripting to measure
the memory allocated by an specific process, unfortunately this is not so
standard from one operating system to another.

> What do you do right now? Do you use the same memory management support for
> variables that is also used by the complete set variables?

If i remember correctly, cpltset variables use an external library in the
buddy folder and use a disposer to free the memory allocated by additional
data structures. We are doing that right now. We are trying to use boost
libraries for our implementation and fortunately those libraries provide a
way to parametrize the allocator. The other possibility will be to use an
allocator that allocates memory from the gecode heap and *never* deallocate
it (this is because gecode memory manager takes care of that (am i right?).
Can you recommend or comment on the advantages of one approach over the
other?

Regards,
Gustavo