[gecode-users] Re : Maximal consistent assignment

benoitlaurent at neuf.fr benoitlaurent at neuf.fr
Tue Oct 21 10:11:48 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 6:03 PM,  <benoitlaurent at neuf.fr> wrote:
>> More precisely, I am looking for a maximal consistent assignment.
>> Is it natively managed in GECODE ?

>No, it is not implemented in Gecode.

>> I made a first attempt : I added a dummy value in the domain of each
>> variable. During the search process, I put constraints on the number of
>> "unassigned variables" to minimise it. Is it the proper way to deal with
>> partial consistent assignment in GECODE ?

>Given that a partial consistent assignment/maximal consistent
>assignment is more of a meta-property of a constraint problem, I would
>not try to encode it into the problem. Instead I would modify the
>search procedure so that it records the maximal consistent assignments
>it finds.

Your answer rises two questions.
1) I used the number of "unassigned variables" to constrain the search and to speed up
the branch-and-bound process. If I do not use dummy values any more, I won't be able to do so.
2) As I said before, I am not an expert with GECODE. How can I record partial assignments ?

Thanks in advance.

Benoît