[gecode-users] Personnel scheduling problem

Andreas Happe andy at snikt.net
Tue Jun 24 17:58:16 CEST 2008

Hi,
I'm trying to schedule personnel depending upon attributes.

Per person I have multiple vectors:

< id, attr_1, attr_2, attr_3, .., attr_n>
where attr_n is an integer in [0,1]. There are various vectors to
model the
various combinations of attributes that the person might fulfill.

e.g.:
1, 0, 0, 0, 1
1, 0, 0, 1, 1

would describe a person with id 1 that can either supply attribute 4
or attribute (3 and 4).

a timeslot has a vector that describes the needed attribute, i.e.:

<1, 1, 2, 1> : 1 * attr1, 1 * attr2, 2*attr3, 1*attr3

I created a matrix with all people and their attributes:

1, 0, 0, 0, 1
1, 0, 0, 1, 1
2, 1, 1, 0, 0

What I want now is to create subsets of the people-matrix with a
distinct contraint
for the first column (so that a person can only be assigned once) and
another
constraint that states that sum(column_(i+1)) >= timeslot_i.

The constraints wouldn't be the problem but I'm out in the dark how to
create the subset :(

Is this an usable approach to the problem? I tried to find some
introduction documents
to gecode but so far failed.

Thank you in advance,
Andreas Happe