[gecode-users] Adventures in installation

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Tue Jan 15 21:18:16 CET 2008

Dear David,

let me explain what happens here. I am a Cygwin user since a long time ;-(

 - The first thing you notice is that the gcc shipped with Cygwin rejects
legal code. We might fix that for the
   next release, most likely (see below).
 - The other thing is a bug in Gecode 2.0.0 that has been fixed for 2.0.1
(it has to do with static linking, Guido is that true?).

But, actually, my recommendation is very simple: forget gcc on Cygwin as
there is no need whatsoever to use it.

As said, I use cygwin every day but together with the freely available
Express Edition of Microsoft's Visual C++ compiler. It works as follows:
download, install, set up the environment that cygwin can pick up the
necessary environment variables for the commandline version of the compiler
(easy, has been discussed before on this list) and then ./configure CC=cl
CXX=cl (the documentation discusses compiling for MSVC).

The benefits are enormous. Compilation is much much faster and so is the
generated code.

I stopped using gcc on cygwin completely as it is so outdated and any
improvement is not in sight. But I have to admit that even if a recent gcc
would be available on cygwin I still would use MSVC.

I am not even sure that we should waste any effort on hacking around gcc's
bugs under cygwin, maybe the best would be to just say on the documentation
what I said in this email and state clearly that gcc is not supported on
cygwin (as dynamic linking is broken anyway).

Would that be a hardship for any of the users?

Thanks for the feedback!

Christian Schulte, www.ict.kth.se/~cschulte/