[gecode-users] Incremental constraints

Malcolm Ryan malcolmr at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Aug 25 08:24:48 CEST 2008

I'm having efficiency problems with my constraint system. It is slow
compared to a standard search algorithm with much more limited
deductive ability. I think that too much time is being spent
propagating constraints in ways that are ultimately not improving the
search.

Rather than abandon CSPs completely, I'd like to experiment with
modulating the amount of propagation to see if there is some point at
which it becomes advantageous. Is there any generic way to do this? If
I remove constraints completely, it will effect the correctness of my
solution, which I don't want to do. I just want to delay constraint
checking/propagation.

One way that occurs to me would be to add constraints incrementally,
during the search. Could Gecode handle this? If so, which phase of the
search process should it occur in? I'm guessing that it should be part
of commmit(). Would that be appropriate?

Thanks,

Malcolm