[gecode-users] Bugs in Gecode/J

Mikael Zayenz Lagerkvist zayenz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 10:52:13 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Malcolm Ryan <malcolmr at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
>  java version "1.5.0_13"
>  Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05-237)
>  Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_13-119, mixed mode, sharing)

That is the Sun JVM (it is called HotSpot).

>  For very large problems it is crashing with the message:
>
>  java(2404,0xb0801000) malloc: *** mmap(size=65536) failed (error code=12)
>  *** error: can't allocate region
>  *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
>  terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Gecode::MemoryExhausted'
>   what():  Memory: Heap memory exhausted

This means that the Gecode native library has thrown an exception: If
malloc returns NULL, then Gecode exits with a MemoryExhausted
exception.

>  What determines the maximum heap size available to Gecode?

The system limits (these can be inspected, for example, using ulimit
on bash in Linux). Unless the system or the JVM restricts the amount
of memory that can be allocated by native components, I would suggest
that you try things like increasing recomputation depth and/or
removing memory-expensive propagators (such as distinct with
ICL_VAL/ICL_BND vs. ICL_DOM).

Cheers,
Mikael

--