[gecode-users] Soft constraints

Pierre Schaus pierre.schaus at uclouvain.be
Fri Nov 23 08:58:21 CET 2007

I Martin,

Using semiring-based and other framework dedicated to soft constraints
is not the only possibility.
Thierry Petit and JC-Régin have also worked on a representation of soft
constraints by hard constraints so
that it can be used in existing software such as Gecode.
The web page of Thierry Petit is http://www.emn.fr/x-info/tpetit/
The idea is to add a variable to the hard constraint representing the
violation of the constraint.
Willem has also worked on this subject
(http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/vanhoeve/) with his famous soft alldiff
with decomposition based violation measures.
Currently we also have a MS Student (Didier Loiseau) in Louvain -la
-Neuve  who is currently implementing
the various softalldiff versions for Gecode. His email is didier.loiseau
[at] student.uclouvain.be
I personally also work on soft statistical constraints such (Deviation
and Spread) which can be very usefull for balancing
the violations among the soft constraints of your CSP.
Hope this help,

Pierre.