[gecode-users] Gecode/J New users

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Fri Nov 2 08:50:41 CET 2007

Malcolm Ryan wrote:

> Hi, I'm looking around at different Java CSP packages to find one in
> which I can work on a problem I have. Gecode/J looks nice, but
> documentation is thin. Can you please answer a few of my questions?
>
> 1) You include finite domain set variables, which I need. What
> operations are available on them?

You find the propagators that are available in the current version here:
http://www.gecode.org/gecodej/doc/group__TaskIntSet.html

Maybe that's not exactly what you were looking for - what kind of
operations do you mean?

> 2) Can you reify constraints as boolean variables?

Yes, many constraints can be reified.  E.g., have a look at
http://www.gecode.org/gecodej/doc/group__TaskIntIntEq.html
The reified versions mention something like "<=> b" in the
documentation, where b is a BoolVar.

> 3) Do you have any means to label constraints with meaningful tags
> for debugging?

No, that's currently not possible.  What kind of information would
you like to attach to a constraint? We are currently integrating
reflection capabilities into the C++ base library, which might
eventually also become available in Java.

> 4) Can I implement new constraints in Java? If so, how?

Yes, that's possible.  Have a look at the QueensJavaPropagator.java
example file distributed with Gecode/J.  However, the interface for
implementing propagators is pretty heavy-weight and not very
efficient.  We currently don't encourage users to implement
propagators that are critical for efficiency in Java, but rather to
implement them in C++ and then interface to Java.

> and I guess the most important question:
>
> 5) Is this project actively used and supported?

Yes, it is.  It hasn't seen an update in quite a while because we are
busy preparing the next major version (2.0.0), which should be
available within the next month.  We are actively using it mainly for
teaching CP courses, here at Saarland University and at KTH, and some
other universities.