[gecode-users] Problem with MSI installer

petert at itu.dk petert at itu.dk
Mon Feb 26 13:28:51 CET 2007

On 26/02/07, Guido Tack <tack at ps.uni-sb.de> wrote:
> This is strange. We tested the installation on a couple of different
systems
> (not including Vista yet, though), and we have never had this problem. Are
> you using a localized version of Windows, and if yes, which? I think we
> tried both a German and an English version, but you never know...

All of the PC's have an english version of Windows installed.

One note-worthy thing is that some of the PC's did not initially have JDK
5.0 installed (but rather JDK 6 or just JRE 5). When JDK 5.0 is not
installed it passes Computing Space Requirements and tells me to install
JDK 5.0. When i do that, and try to run the installer again, i encounter
the described problem. In all cases i installed JDK 5.0 Update 11 as that
is whats available on Suns homepage.

I tried two more machines, both with XP SP2 (english) and encountered the
same problem on both of them.

Is the installer supposed to access the network?

> However, there were some problems with the Gecode/J bundled in
> the MSI. We are currently preparing a bugfix release of Gecode/J, which
will
> also come with an updated installer. Maybe you want to wait a little while
> (approximately 2-3 weeks) - we'll let you know when we've finished it.

Okay, i suppose i can just use the C++ version until then, though i was
looking forward to trying out Gist. Are the problems serious, or is it
some specialized/minor issues?

Regards,
Peter Tiedemann