[gecode-users] Ordering of propagators

Christian Schulte cschulte at kth.se
Tue Apr 10 15:15:09 CEST 2007

Hi Peter,

yes you are right: propagators with lower cost are most likely to be run
before propagators with higher cost.

The cost values basically capture some levels of constant runtime and then
some levels of asymptotic runtime. The order in which they are defined, also
describes the order in which propagators are likely to be picked for
execution.

The addendum "likely" has to do with the fact that some of the symbolic
costs (for example, PC_BINARY_LO and PC_UNARY_LO) are mapped to the same
actual cost level. For an anlysis of this, please check:
	http://web.it.kth.se/~schulte/paper.html?id=SchulteStuckey:CCoR:2006

What do you mean with how the cost function is used? Could you elaborate,
please?

Christian Schulte, http://www.imit.kth.se/~schulte/