[gecode-users] random / mod

Christian Schulte schulte at imit.kth.se
Fri Aug 25 10:01:56 CEST 2006

Yes, the reason why I did not reply immediately is like with Guido: I
believe that our current engines never mix the generation of branching
descriptions with their use in recomputation. But in general this invariant
does not hold.

The good news, though, is the contrary to what you have asked: if you happen
to implement a randomized branching then batch recomputation will come
without extra cost.

And I really would like to stress the point that making randomized branching
with recomputation is not magic: random generators are stateful but
deterministic programs generating sequences of pseudo-random numbers. So
recording the state of the generator will always be sufficient to make it
work with recomputation.

The only problem I see is that the standard Unix random generator has an
interface that does not expose this fact.

Christian Schulte, http://www.imit.kth.se/~schulte/