[gecode-users] random / mod

Guido Tack tack at ps.uni-sb.de
Fri Aug 25 09:55:52 CEST 2006

Hi Torsten.

> Here is a related question: would batch recomputation simplify the
> definition of randomized selection schemes? That is, are the
> decisions made by the branching recorded by the batch recomputation
> mechanism such that randomized selection schemes come fore free?

It could be achieved using batch recomputation, but there is a
caveat: a search engine is allowed to ask the same space for a
branching description more than once.
It is possible (in fact not hard) to implement a search engine that
only computes descriptions once for a space. These search engines
would work well with randomized branchings. I don't know what our
built-in search engines currently do, I'll have to take a closer look.

Guido Tack
Programming Systems Lab, Saarland University, Germany
http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/~tack