[Gecode] Subversion

Mikael 'Zayenz' Lagerkvist d00-mla at nada.kth.se
Wed Aug 17 15:21:26 CEST 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Guido Tack wrote:
> Subversion has a lot of advantages over CVS. In my opinion, the most important
> improvements for us are
> * providing versioning for directories
> * proper handling of moving and removing files and directories
> * proper handling of branches and tags
> * offline diff and status - no need to contact the server to see your changes
> * better access control

<snip/>

> Of course this is a major decision, and we have to decide on this
> before the release. So, please try it out and tell me what you
> think of it.

I have tried the subversion repository now, and my first impression
is that it is easier to handle than cvs.

I think that the previously mentioned improvements over cvs are a
good motivation for switching.

The only issue that I have found is that some commands seem to be
rather slow. One example is viewing log-messages, doing 'svn log
int.hh --limit 2' takes 20 seconds on my machine, 7 seconds to
display the information and 13 seconds after. For a simple
log-request, like 'svn log INSTALL' (recently added, no changes), it
takes almost a second. I don't know if this is an issue with
subversion, my machine, or something else.

Regards,
Mikael

--
Mikael 'Zayenz' Lagerkvist, http://www.imit.kth.se/~zayenz/