[Gecode] Logo, Homepage

Denys Duchier duchier at ps.uni-sb.de
Wed Oct 27 22:38:36 CEST 2004

Hi Guido,

Thanks for making the changes - the pages are now very readable on my
1600x1200 laptop screen.  Concerning "Development" section: I suggest
again that institutions should be deemphacized.  This software is
being developed by individuals, not institutions.  When we write
papers, authors are individuals: if necessary we add a footnote saying
"this research was supported by grant so-and-so".  Also, it is
possible that in the future you might want to attract external
contributors: an emphasis on institutions makes that more difficult.
Of course, Christian should decide, but this is merely my opinion.

Concerning the license: I have several remarks.

1. it should be more prominently accessible.  Currently, it's just the
   disclaimer at the bottom of the web page.

2. this license is refered to as the "Gecode License Agreement".
   That's an unknown.  Nobody has ever heard of it.  If at all
   possible it should be (1) either exactly an existing and reasonably
   well-known license, (2) or it should state and explain its lineage
   explicitly.  People have become (and rightfully so) paranoid about
   IP and licenses.  It is important to address their concerns up
   front:

   - what is this license?
   - is it compatible with e.g. the GPL?
   - is it possible to obtain other licensing conditions, e.g. for
     commercial applications?

Dr. Denys Duchier - Équipe Calligramme - LORIA, Nancy, FRANCE
AIM: duchierdenys