[gecode-users] Variable implementations are copied automatically during search, right?

Sebastian Albert albert at math.uni-goettingen.de
Wed Mar 21 17:39:31 CET 2018

Dear Gecode users and maintainers

I was wondering whether I can use auxilliary variables to formulate and
post constraints (i.e., propagators) in my model in the initial
constructor without copying them in the copy constructor (as long as I
don't want to use their values later on and thus do not need them as
member variables in my Space subclass). It seems that this is true and
everything still works correctly. (However, I may need to post
branchings for them, too, depending on how they are used.) Am I right?
So, I conclude that variable implementations are taken care of either by
the Space or indirectly when the propagators/branchers are copying their
views.

Are there any caveats?

Here's a small working example (which is not useful, but a test to
experiment whether I am right):

using namespace Gecode;

class Test : public Space {
protected:
    IntVar a, b;
public:
    Test(void) {
        a = IntVar(*this, 1, 5);
        b = IntVar(*this, 1, 5);
        IntVar a_temp = IntVar(*this, 1, 5);
        IntVar b_temp = IntVar(*this, 1, 5);
        rel(*this, a == a_temp);
        rel(*this, b == b_temp);
        rel(*this, 2 * a_temp == b_temp);
        branch(*this, a, INT_VAL_MED());
        branch(*this, b, INT_VAL_MED());
    }

    void print(void) const {
        std::cout << a << " " << b << std::endl;
    }

    Test(Test& s) : Space(s) {
        a.update(*this, s.a);
        b.update(*this, s.b);