[gecode-users] propagation consistency of count (single value) constraint

Kish Shen kisshen at cisco.com
Wed Aug 26 22:21:06 CEST 2015

I noticed an inconsistency in my (ECLiPSe) documentation for the count
(for single values) constraint in the Gecode interface, and the current
Gecode reference documentation for these constraints:

count(home, x, y, INT_EQ, z)

this is for IntVarArg x, while y and z can be int or IntVar

My documentation states that the constraint can be posted with ICL_DOM.
but this seems to be inconstent with the current reference documentation.

Looking at Gecode's reference documentation, it seems that depending on
if y and z are int or IntVar, either the constraint is propagated at
ICL_DEF only (not achieving domain consistency), or at two different
consistency levels:

ICL_DOM, which does stronger propagation (but not domain consistent),
and less propagation with all other IntConLev.

So if I understand the reference documentation correctly, ICL_DOM is
used only to distinguish it from an alternative that perform less
propagation (where the alternative exist, otherwise there is only one
level of propagation). How does the propagation achived compared to
bound and value consistencies?

I also noticed a minor typo in the reference documentation: in at least
two places, domain is spelt as comain, as in 'propagation is not comain
consistent'.

Cheers,

Kish