[gecode-users] AFC decay with global AFC in search engines

Kish Shen kisshen at cisco.com
Fri May 23 04:12:51 CEST 2014

Hi Christian,

Thanks for this. I decided to change my code to ude INT_VAR_AFC_* with a
decay argument, and then I tried to rerun the test. However, I now get
a Gecode exception "AFC: Illegal decay factor" for a factor of 0.0 with

IntAFC afc(*solver, vars, 0.0);

while previously, I was able to set the decay factor to 0 with
afc_decay(0.0).

I assume this is because of a > vs >= test for the valid value. Should
this be changed? It seems 0 should be a legal value (even if it is not
too sensible).

On a related note, from the description in the MPG, I assume there is
only a single AFC decay factor, so setting the decay factor with

IntAFC afc(*solver, vars, decay)

will also change the "global" decay factor, i.e. the one obtained by
afc_decay(). Is this correct?

Cheers,

Kish