[gecode-users] Alternating branchers

Duane Leslie parakleta at darkreality.org
Mon Oct 21 04:33:01 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am creating a system to solve resource delivery problems and am having reasonable success but I want to be able to fully constrain whole events, which means I need a way to alternate branching between the start of an event and the associated duration.  At the moment I constrain all the starts and then do the durations but this sometimes causes me to need to backtrack more than I want to and also seems to slow the solver down because there are more unconstrained variables than need be.

At the moment the simplest solution that would be acceptable would be simply to set the duration to its maximum value whenever the associated start time is assigned, but I would like an interleaved branching method eventually.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Regards,

Duane.