[gecode-users] Passing information to the master() function

Kish Shen kisshen at cisco.com
Thu Oct 3 19:35:11 CEST 2013

Hi Christian,

On 03/10/2013 09:51, Christian Schulte wrote:
> Hi Kish,
>
> Sorry for missing this.
>
> If you want to post the constraint then you would have to store the
> y-variables at someplace such that the master() function (you would have to
> re-define it) can access y.

Thanks for your reply. Am I correct in thinking that the restart search
facilities do not provide any way of passing extra current information
from the search back to the master() (for DFS; I guess I can (ab)use the
constrain() function in my case, as what I want to pass back is a
constraint, by changing the DFS search to BAB)?

Naively (because I don't know the details of Gecode), it seems to me
that providing the user with access to the master space during the
search will allow a simple way of passing information to the master
space. I can see that being useful if the user want to do things that
depends on the state of the search when restarting a search/finding a
new solution.

> The second option is more meaningful: I think restricting restart to a
> single solution does not hurt.

I am a little reluctant to do this, as this does not fit that well with
how I intend to provide the functionality in ECLiPSe, as I want to add
restart and no-goods as extra options to gfd's search routine, i.e. not
as different search methods.

Cheers,

Kish