[gecode-users] Fix IntVar value (MaximizeSpace::cost)

Guido Tack tack at gecode.org
Thu Jan 17 05:19:26 CET 2013

Hi,
the cost function is const, which means that you can't create new variables inside the function.  It has to return an existing variable that is constrained in the model to be equal to the cost.  Branch-and-bound relies on the cost being a variable, because it posts constraints on the cost that make sure each solution is better than the previous one.  If you can't express your cost as a constraint, you can't use branch-and-bound.