[gecode-users] Fedora packaging Gecode

Julian C. Dunn jdunn at aquezada.com
Wed Aug 22 04:53:30 CEST 2012

All:

I am working on packaging Gecode into Fedora Linux. During the review process, my reviewer pointed out this problem with Gecode:

---

gecode.x86_64: W: shared-lib-calls-exit /usr/lib64/libgecodegist.so.32.0 exit at GLIBC_2.2.5

This library package calls exit() or _exit(), probably in a non-fork()
context. Doing so from a library is strongly discouraged - when a library
function calls exit(), it prevents the calling program from handling the
error, reporting it to the user, closing files properly, and cleaning up any
state that the program has. It is preferred for the library to return an
actual error code and let the calling program decide how to handle the
situation.

---

While they told me that this is not a blocker to inclusion in Fedora, they advised me to inform upstream (you) such that you might consider fixing it. Could you give me some feedback about that so I can append it to the review request?

- Julian