[gecode-users] nested cost functions

revo revo 4evo.11.ove4 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 00:23:19 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am new to gecode (and constraint programming in general). So far, gecode
has been a joy to work with, even for a novice like me.

I was wondering what is the best way to perform a "nested" cost function.
Specifically, I am looking to minimize X, but within the space of solutioins
for which X is equal, prefer solutions which minimize Y? I could probably
hack it by defining a cost function that looks like X*large_number+Y, but
I'd prefer to do this properly if there's a good solution.

If anyone can point me to both the introductory literature (I see the
min-max algorithm, but being relatively new to the literature, I'm not sure
if the game-theoretic descriptions match what I am trying to do here) as
well as how to implement this in Gecode, that would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,

~r