[gecode-users] Gecode 3.5.0 faster than Gecode 3.7.0?

Kish Shen kisshen at cisco.com
Tue Sep 13 18:40:38 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have just upgrade the ECLiPSe interface to Gecode from Gecode 3.5.0 to
3.7.0. As I am currently doing some work on improving the performance of
the interface, I have been doing some timings with example programs, and
to my surprise, one of the example is running consistently faster with
3.5.0. The run-times are:

3.5.0:        16.34s
3.7.0:        19.99s

The only change between these two is the version of Gecode used (plus
the changes in the C++ code needed for the upgrade, i.e. the #include
for the graph and scheduling modules).

As the program is written in ECLiPSe, there is no direct record of the
actual Gecode API calls made. The problem is the "roster" example from
the ECLiPSe website, modified for use with the Gecode interface. This
example is solving a simple rostering problem, and there are a lot of
relational constraints posted, plus some boolean expressions, all posted
via the MiniModel, and there are also some count contraints (occurrences
of one value variant). The search is done in ECLiPSe, i.e. not using the
search-engines of Gecode.

Is the above information sufficient for even guessing what the slow down
might be due to? If not, what additional information might be needed?

Cheers,

Kish

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.